git conversion status update

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sat May 9 12:55:27 CEST 2009

On Fri, 08 May 2009 17:51:07 -0700
"Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> [If you're too lazy to read this email in its entirety, please scroll
> to the bottom and read the list of actions.]
>
> I know I've been quiet for a bit, but I'm actually working on this.
>
> Going pretty well so far.  Awesomely, our disk space requirements
> have dropped from about 2GB (with svn) to around 375MB (with git).
> That's pretty nuts.
>
> See here for my (as yet undocumented) "conversion toolset":
> http://git.xfce.org/kelnos/xfce-git-migration/
>
> Currently failing to convert are:
>
> bugzilla.xfce.org (nonstandard svn repo layout)
>
> Currently failing to verify are:
>
> terminal (docs XML file differences)
> xfce4-bglist-editor (PNGs differing)
> xfce4-notes-plugin (PNGs differing)
> xfce4-taskmanager (compiled binary differing [why is this in svn?])
> xfce4-weather-plugin (PNGs differing)
> xfce4-xkb-plugin (PNGs differing)
> xfce4-xmms-plugin (PNGs and XCFs differing)
> xffm-icons (missing branch)
>
> I suspect the binary file difference problems are because the
> mime-types aren't set properly for those files in our svn repo.  That
> shouldn't be too hard to fix (though I'm not happy about having to
> commit prop changes to tags).
>
> [2] Not sure what's going on with Terminal or xffm-icons (though I
> don't care quite so much about the latter).
>

> Anyhow, a TEMPORARY READ-ONLY WILL-BE-DELETED test thingo is here:
>
> http://git.xfce.org/THESE_WILL_BE_DELETED/
>
> If you use this for anything useful, well... you're a moron ^_~.
>
> You should be able to clone from that URL.  No git:// clone support
> yet, and no cgit.  Read-only for now.
>
> Please give it a look and make sure your repos look ok.  The
> verification script is very thorough (it actually diffs all files on
> each branch and each tag, and verifies that all the branches/tags
> that should exist do actually exist), but it's certainly possible
> something could have gotten messed up.
>
> One possibly controversial choice I've made is to munge branch and
> tag names a bit.  For example, the 'xfce_4_4' branch is now called
> 'xfce-4.4'.  Any branches/tags of the form ${MODULE_NAME}_X_Y_Z were
> also converted similarly.  I also converted things like 'V_1_0' to
> 'V-1.0' and 'V1_0' to 'V1.0'.  For the Xfce core modules, this is
> pretty much set.  For personal modules, PLEASE SPEAK UP (via private
> email) if you want your branches/tags left alone.
>
> Please note that the actual final conversion is probably a couple
> weeks off, at best.  Even though the conversion process should be
> 'perfected' soon, there are still several other things that need to
> be done[1] before we go live with git.
>
> ----> ACTIONS:
>
> 1.  Try checking out your module (from
> http://git.xfce.org/THESE_WILL_BE_DELETED/) and see if everything
> seems ok.

I checked out exo and Thunar. Branches and tags and everything else
looks fine. Well done!

> [1] See http://wiki.xfce.org/git-migration#missing_stuff

I'll work on the commit mail script on my laptop. I suggest we create
an xfce-repo-admins group and a special directory for our hook scripts
on mocha. When creating the repositories we could create links to the
hook scripts for every repository.

About the commit mails:

  - Do we still want seperate goodies-commits/xfce4-commits mails?
    goodies-commits has about 3-5 mails average per day, so it's not
    really high traffic.
    Should we go for separate goodies/xfce commit mails, we'd have to
    keep a list of which repositories are goodies and which are not.

  - I suggest a subject format like this:

      Commits to the master branch:

        [xfce4-commits] <exo> first line of the commit message

      Commits to a different branch:

        [xfce4-commits] <exo|master> first line of the commit message

      or

        [xfce4-commits] <exo:master> first line of the commit message

  - I suggest we all switch from ChangeLogs to the git way of doing it,
    as explained on http://www.tpope.net/node/106.

Thoughts, opinions?

  - Jannis