slower startup with 4.6?

Auke Kok auke at foo-projects.org
Wed Mar 18 17:37:31 CET 2009

Miek Gieben wrote:
> [ Quoting Auke Kok in "Re: slower startup with 4.6?"... ]
>>> without the bootchart from 4.4.x, you can't say anything. can you
>>> please post the bootchart from before your upgrade to 4.6 as well?
>> On second thought, don't bother. Your startup time is such a gigantic
>> failure that it's unlikely to even get any significance out of any
>> comparison.
>
> hmmpff :(
>
>> First of all, sreadahead seems to be completely botched by ubuntu (I
>> maintain sreadahead) and runs twice? But it doesn't actually do
>> anything, which is likely to the fact that you run a 2.6.27 kernel,
>> which misses a tonload of async patches to start with. Then your box
>> spends the first 21 seconds after kernel boot doing modprobe and
>> hal/udev stuff, which is insane.
>
> Tell me about it. If tried to debug this, but that went nowhere.
>
>> Then another 10 seconds doing portmap,
>> nfs, smtpd(?!). When does the hurting stop??? By the time your desktop
>> start (gnome support enabled?!), A normal netbook user would have
>> already sent in his box for returns to the vendor, and gotten a refund
>> in the same time :)
>>
>> There's just not enough *right* about this installation to make any
>> sense whether xfce 4.6 starts slower than 4.4.
>>
>> is this a default ubunto 8.10 install? cuz that's just sad...
>
> This is not the default install, because I needed some extra stuff: a
> mailer, nfs support and kerberos/ldap support.
>
> For the rest it *is* plain Ubuntu, at least anything up to the hal/udev
> stuff.

well, if you're serious about debugging the Xfce components, you can.
And it's not that hard:

- boot your system in init 3
- log in on the console
- run:
	bootchartd start
	startxfce4
- and then once xfce is done stop the bootchart logging and graph the
   data

this way you have a clean bootchart image of the Xfce parts, especially
if you make sure your system is idle.

Having those for both xfce 4.4. and xfce 4.6 would very well be valuable...

Auke