slower startup with 4.6?

Miek Gieben miek at miek.nl
Wed Mar 18 09:38:12 CET 2009

[ Quoting Auke Kok in "Re: slower startup with 4.6?"... ]
>> without the bootchart from 4.4.x, you can't say anything. can you
>> please post the bootchart from before your upgrade to 4.6 as well?
>
> On second thought, don't bother. Your startup time is such a gigantic
> failure that it's unlikely to even get any significance out of any
> comparison.

hmmpff :(

> First of all, sreadahead seems to be completely botched by ubuntu (I
> maintain sreadahead) and runs twice? But it doesn't actually do
> anything, which is likely to the fact that you run a 2.6.27 kernel,
> which misses a tonload of async patches to start with. Then your box
> spends the first 21 seconds after kernel boot doing modprobe and
> hal/udev stuff, which is insane.

Tell me about it. If tried to debug this, but that went nowhere.

> Then another 10 seconds doing portmap,
> nfs, smtpd(?!). When does the hurting stop??? By the time your desktop
> start (gnome support enabled?!), A normal netbook user would have
> already sent in his box for returns to the vendor, and gotten a refund
> in the same time :)
>
> There's just not enough *right* about this installation to make any
> sense whether xfce 4.6 starts slower than 4.4.
>
> is this a default ubunto 8.10 install? cuz that's just sad...

This is not the default install, because I needed some extra stuff: a
mailer, nfs support and kerberos/ldap support.

For the rest it *is* plain Ubuntu, at least anything up to the hal/udev
stuff.

Regards,

--
 --Miek