slower startup with 4.6?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Mar 17 21:56:33 CET 2009

Auke Kok wrote:
>> Miek Gieben wrote:
>>> [ Quoting Auke Kok in "Re: slower startup with 4.6?"... ]
>>>
>>> yes, of course. I've put the file at:
>>> http://miek.nl/files/intrepid-20090315-2.png
>>>
>>> It's a complete run with auto-login from gdm which
>>> starts xfce where I open a terminal to kill bootchart.
>>
>> without the bootchart from 4.4.x, you can't say anything. can you
>> please post the bootchart from before your upgrade to 4.6 as well?
>
> On second thought, don't bother. Your startup time is such a gigantic
> failure that it's unlikely to even get any significance out of any
> comparison.

There's also an issue I discovered the other day that (on my machine at
least) increases xfce4-session's client start time from 2 seconds to 9
seconds.  I'm not sure how to solve it... getting an app
(xfce4-settings-helper, in this case) into the session that isn't
already there is a pain in the ass with the current system.  I might add
a dbus extension to 4.6.1 to let apps go "hey, I don't care if the user
has saved the session yet or not, I want in now!" ... at least until I
do something much nicer for 4.8.

	-b