Idle user input code

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Mar 11 20:17:26 CET 2009

> On mer, 2009-03-11 at 09:50 +0100, Ali Abdallah wrote:
>> So if you have an already cooked code in this, i will be greatly
>> appreciated your help.

You can poke around in xfmedia (on git.xfce.org).  I had some code that
uses the X SCREENSAVER extension to query the X server's concept of user
idle time to determine whether or not to trigger a 'fake' key event to
reset the screensaver's timeout during video playback.  I don't recall
exactly where the code is, but doing a checkout and 'grep -ni
xscreensaver *' in src/ should find it for you easily.

There might be problems with this approach, but it might serve as a
useful starting point.

Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> For what it's worth, I think it should be connected to DPMS settings
> (and screensaver settings, but that's not the point), and it should be
> something as Matthew Garrett once talked about:
> http://mjg59.livejournal.com/106581.html
>
> Basically, don't configure a time “statically” (just an on/off switch)
> and sart with a short timer, if the user breaks idle time when backlight
> dims, then double the timer, etc.
> Reset when no user activity during dimming, or something like that.

Yeah, this would be pretty cool.

> I find it painful,
> on my GF mac on OSX, that she needs to touch the touchpad from time to
> time, when reading a webpage, because the display dims.

Yes, this pisses me off to no end on my Mac!

	-b