Idle user input code

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Wed Mar 11 10:15:48 CET 2009

On mer, 2009-03-11 at 09:50 +0100, Ali Abdallah wrote:
> So if you have an already cooked code in this, i will be greatly
> appreciated your help.

For what it's worth, I think it should be connected to DPMS settings
(and screensaver settings, but that's not the point), and it should be
something as Matthew Garrett once talked about:
http://mjg59.livejournal.com/106581.html

Basically, don't configure a time “statically” (just an on/off switch)
and sart with a short timer, if the user breaks idle time when backlight
dims, then double the timer, etc.
Reset when no user activity during dimming, or something like that.

Oh and, btw, in fact, I'm not sure dimming is useful anyway. Either
you're in front of the box and you don't want to dim the display, either
yopu're not here and you can turn on DPMS directly. I find it painful,
on my GF mac on OSX, that she needs to touch the touchpad from time to
time, when reading a webpage, because the display dims. Same thing for
my n810. If I want to dim the display, I prefer to do it myself,
adjusting to the correct setting for the current room brightness.

(but I think the behavior above would be nice to have for DPMS)

Yves-Alexis