some quick notes on xfce4-power-manager 0.6.4

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at xfce.org
Mon Mar 9 21:44:17 CET 2009

Le Mon, 09 Mar 2009 22:13:45 +0200,
Jari Rahkonen <jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi> a écrit :

> Auke Kok kirjoitti:
> > Jari Rahkonen wrote:

> >> Wicd actually shows the Connect dialog, not the actual
> >> preferences. I'd rather see preferences as an option in the right
> >> click context menu.
> >>
> >> The left button could maybe show a different menu with options to
> >> suspend and hibernate (if these are enabled in the session manager
> >> settings) and possibly battery information or statistics. I think
> >> g-p-m has something like this.
> >
> > very counterintuitive and certainly not what any of the other common
> > apps do. right-click is for a context menu, and you can certainly
> > stuff suspend et al in there, but they are already present in the
> > xfce4-session logout window anyway...
>
> I see your point. Don't know about your selection of 'common apps'
> though, as I rarely see more than two or three notification icons at a
> time. Most of the time wicd is the only one filling my tray, with the
> power manager showing up whenever the laptop is running on battery
> power or charging.

I had suggest you take a look at the description of GtkStatusIcon.

> > I've got 4 applications currently sitting in my systray, ALL pop up
> > a window on left-click. ALL pop up a context menu with
> > 'options/preferences, quit, and a few more items on right click.
>
> Right, but I still think the right click menu is the correct and only
> place for the options/preferences option. Do any of those other apps
> you see in your tray pop up a *preferences* window on left click? I
> don't think they should, unless frequent fiddling with the
> preferences is expected. I'd say even doing nothing might actually be
> preferable.

The power manager doesn't have anything else than the preferences
dialog to show, so it would be correct to display it. Can we please
stop here.

Wicd was just a bad example where the main interface looks a lot like a
preferences dialog where you choose the networks you want to connect to.

Mike