some quick notes on xfce4-power-manager 0.6.4

Jari Rahkonen jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi
Mon Mar 9 21:13:45 CET 2009

Auke Kok kirjoitti:
> Jari Rahkonen wrote:
>> Mike Massonnet kirjoitti:

>>> The GtkStatusIcon doesn't have a signal to do this easily
>>> (double-click), so this is out of scope as a standard use of a
>>> notification icon, instead choose by convention the best action for a
>>> click. Most apps use this to show/hide the main interface. You could
>>> just show the preferences dialog, which is the best convention imho.
>>> For instance, wicd does this. Mail-notification lets you choose which
>>> action to do like "check up mails", "open mail client" or "show
>>> preferencse dialog".
>>
>> Wicd actually shows the Connect dialog, not the actual preferences. I'd
>> rather see preferences as an option in the right click context menu.
>>
>> The left button could maybe show a different menu with options to
>> suspend and hibernate (if these are enabled in the session manager
>> settings) and possibly battery information or statistics. I think g-p-m
>> has something like this.
>
> very counterintuitive and certainly not what any of the other common
> apps do. right-click is for a context menu, and you can certainly stuff
> suspend et al in there, but they are already present in the
> xfce4-session logout window anyway...

I see your point. Don't know about your selection of 'common apps'
though, as I rarely see more than two or three notification icons at a
time. Most of the time wicd is the only one filling my tray, with the
power manager showing up whenever the laptop is running on battery power
or charging.

> I've got 4 applications currently sitting in my systray, ALL pop up a
> window on left-click. ALL pop up a context menu with
> 'options/preferences, quit, and a few more items on right click.

Right, but I still think the right click menu is the correct and only
place for the options/preferences option. Do any of those other apps you
see in your tray pop up a *preferences* window on left click? I don't
think they should, unless frequent fiddling with the preferences is
expected. I'd say even doing nothing might actually be preferable.

> Auke

- Jari