Building Xfce v4.6.1 from source - requirements

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at xfce.org
Tue Jun 23 20:07:11 CEST 2009

Hi,

Le mardi 23 juin 2009 16:50:08, Paul Griffith a écrit :
> Greetings,
>
> What do you recommend for building Xfce 4.6.1 from source, currently we are
> using CentOS v4.6 which is getting kinda old. We are running in a
> educational environment, so we are looking for stability! We are still
> running Xfce 4.2.1.1 in our labs. So this is big upgrade for us.
>
> Here are the packages I am using to compile Xfce 4.6.1 against.
>
> gtk+ 2.16.2
> glib - 2.20.3
> pango - 1.24.2
> cairo - 1.8.6
> glade - 3.6.5
> pixman - 0.15.10
> xrender - 0.8.3
> atk 1.24.0
>
> On the roadmap on the wiki (http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.6/roadmap) I see
> a statement saying that Xfce 4.6 is going to depend on GTK 2.10. Does that
> mean I should build Xfce around GTK+ 2.10 ??

It is Gtk+ 2.10 at least thus 2.10 or higher.

> I asking because, I am running into a issue with printing from within Xfce.
>  Eclipse and Firefox both die on printing. I know these issues are most
> likely related to my build environment.
>
> Eclipse:
> /cs/local/packages/jdk/bin/java: symbol lookup error:
> /cs/local/packages/xfce-4.6.1/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/printbackends/libprintback
>end-file.so: undefined symbol: g_dgettext

Not Xfce related, as it breaks on an inexistent function call from Gtk+.
Either Eclipse should use another version probably outside /cs/local, or it
should be rebuilt.

> Firefox: Just disappers!

Same here. When running Firefox however, as firefox is just a bourne shell
script, you should be able to get the pid of it (ps ax) and attach to it later
again with gdb (gdb /path/to/real/firefox-bin <pid>).

> Thanks
> Paul

Mike