Building Xfce v4.6.1 from source - requirements

Paul Griffith paulg at cse.yorku.ca
Tue Jun 23 16:50:08 CEST 2009

Greetings,

What do you recommend for building Xfce 4.6.1 from source, currently we are using CentOS v4.6 which is getting kinda old. We are running in a educational environment, so we are looking for stability! We are still running Xfce 4.2.1.1 in our labs. So this is big upgrade for us.

Here are the packages I am using to compile Xfce 4.6.1 against.

gtk+ 2.16.2
glib - 2.20.3
pango - 1.24.2
cairo - 1.8.6
glade - 3.6.5
pixman - 0.15.10
xrender - 0.8.3
atk 1.24.0

On the roadmap on the wiki (http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.6/roadmap) I see a statement saying that Xfce 4.6 is going to depend on GTK 2.10. Does that mean I should build Xfce around GTK+ 2.10 ??

I asking because, I am running into a issue with printing from within Xfce.  Eclipse and Firefox both die on printing. I know these issues are most likely related to my build environment.

Eclipse:
/cs/local/packages/jdk/bin/java: symbol lookup error: /cs/local/packages/xfce-4.6.1/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/printbackends/libprintbackend-file.so: undefined symbol: g_dgettext

Firefox: Just disappers!

Thanks
Paul