serious problem with your way of dealing with my personal right on informational self-determination

Auke Kok auke at foo-projects.org
Sun Jun 7 09:40:27 CEST 2009

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On 06/06/2009 03:20 PM, Christian Dywan wrote:
>
>> Incidentally I notice that Bugzilla doesn't provide any usage agreement
>> or a similar note before registering. It might be a good idea to check
>> that, since the note about sharing information is a little curt.
>
> Sure it does.  See http://bugzilla.xfce.org/createaccount.cgi:
>
> PRIVACY NOTICE: Bugzilla is an open bug tracking system. Activity on
> most bugs, including email addresses, will be visible to the public. We
> recommend using a secondary account or free web email service (such as
> Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, or similar) to avoid receiving spam at your
> primary email address.
>
> Hell, and we even go a *little* bit further to try to protect privacy,
> having applied a 3rd-party patch that hides email addresses when viewing
> the site without being logged in.  Sure, it's trivial to sign up for an
> account, but at least that foils automated scrapers.

Bottom line is that *we* (xfce project and server maintainers) cannot
even remotely begin to protect your information. If you post, it's up
there. Public. End of story.

I don't see how I can be anything _but_ curt about that - blunt is the
best way.

Now, we really do our best to make sure we don't inadvertently give out
information about people. And trust me, we get requests from the
weirdest people that sometimes even demand that we give out information
to them that is (according to them) public, and they have a "right" to
have that information.

But to repeat myself: The Bottom line is that all the information you
give us will likely end up available to someone you didn't want it to go
to. Be warned. Be smart.

Cheers,

Auke