future of xfce session management

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Tue Jul 21 10:14:25 CEST 2009

On 07/21/2009 12:11 AM, Nick Schermer wrote:

> * I agree we should stick with the priority thing, gives more
> (possibly) flexibility for launching applications. The "don't care and
> just spawn">  50 priority makes sense. On the other hand, if a splash
> screen is activated, we might want to wait until *all* the apps are
> launched.

The idea here is that, for the apps < 50, they're core desktop apps, and
should be well-behaved, never ever ever crash on startup
(hahahaha...ha...ha), and register with the SM in a reasonable amount of
time.  So we can count on them not delaying desktop startup (under
normal non-exceptionally-weird conditions).  At the very least, we
'control' these apps and know who to yell at if they aren't being
well-behaved.

Apps > 50 are Any Old Random Apps, and we have no idea if they're going
to play nice or not, or if they're going to delay startup because they
forgot to register with the session manager, or if they even support
session management at all (autostart apps will fall into this category).
  At that point a splash screen might just say "Starting Other
Applications", wait 750ms, and go away.  Or at least just wait until the
last app has been spawned, regardless of whether or not it notifies us
or not (and it could still write out the app names to the splash screen
if it so chooses).  I think the splash screen is really only important
for showing that the *desktop* is starting; once the WM, desktop, and
panel are up, we assume the user can -- and wants to -- get some Real
Work[tm] done, so the at that point splash screen will just get in the way.

	-b