future of xfce session management

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 09:11:23 CEST 2009

2009/7/19 Brian J. Tarricone <brian at tarricone.org>:
> My goal would be to have this done for Xfe 4.8, but I'm not sure I'll have the time,
> given that apparently I also maintain xfdesktop and xfconf.  Who knew? :-P

*andgitcough*

> I'm not sure it's quite ready for comments and suggestions, but feel free to
> read it over.  If you're going to be a dick about it, don't bother
> commenting, but if you have anything useful and constructive to say, have at
> it.

Way too much text you know ;-).

* For the desktop file name you can also look if the window's role
name is unique, Thunar and Terminal set a unique role name for session
management.

* I agree we should stick with the priority thing, gives more
(possibly) flexibility for launching applications. The "don't care and
just spawn" > 50 priority makes sense. On the other hand, if a splash
screen is activated, we might want to wait until *all* the apps are
launched.

* We support multiple sessions? Better drop it until we can handle 1
session properly.

Everything else seems to make sense, it will make session management a
whole lot easier to understand.

Nick