future of xfce session management

Bo Lorentsen bl at lue.dk
Mon Jul 20 11:17:48 CEST 2009

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> I couldn't sleep tonight, and was thinking about session management.
> Yes, I know, that's pretty lame and suggests that I might be too much
> of a geek.
:-)
> Anyhow, I tried to write down all my thoughts, and started a page on
> the wiki here:
>
> http://wiki.xfce.org/dev/session-management
Interesting reading for at Xfce devel novice :-)

I was wondering why we always (in gnome and such) use session
priorities, and not dependencies (trees).

It would be nice, to be able to state than one application (or more)
depend on another to startup.

This would be a power full general tool, and for those using lest say
"ssh-add", we could have remote application depending on this to startup.

An application could be of the startup type "wait" or "background" (the
name is not important), ssh-add would be a "wait" app, that the session
manager waits for, to finish (the user enter a passphrase), and when it
is done (with success) it will start up my remote shell, ans X sessions.

The tree could look like this :

panel (background)
thunar (background)
ssh-agent (background)
   ssh-add (wait)
     xfterm4 (background)
     ssh -X -C me at myhost virt-manager (background)
midori (background)

So we could make nice dependency trees, or make at plain flat structure
is the order have no important, or even strongly controlled startup
sequences.
> My goal would be to have this done for Xfe 4.8, but I'm not sure I'll
> have the time, given that apparently I also maintain xfdesktop and
> xfconf.  Who knew? :-P
Quite a task ... no wonder you have problems sleeping :-)

/BL