Ristretto 1.0 - Functional Requirements (1/3)

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Mon Jul 6 08:06:42 CEST 2009

On dim, 2009-07-05 at 00:49 -0700, Auke Kok wrote:
> Mike Massonnet wrote:
> >
> > Saving the rotation is something useful indeed. Rstto should ask if the image
> > must be saved with a checkbox "don't ask again". The less casual "editings"
> > are Resize and Cropping. Btw, I wonder if it is possible to save the rotation
> > with Exif instead of overwritting the jpeg with another quality and size.
>
> this is the preferred method - you don't touch the original data and
> basically "correct" the exif rotation field instead (and then redisplay
> using that value).
>
> anything else is a bitmap edit and IMO ristretto should not do - that is
> what image manipulation programs are for...

And you should look at the Exif Orientation tag. If it's present and not
TopLeft you should rotate the picture (at display time) accordingly.
When the user wants to rotate an image, you could do it (rotation is non
destructive) and reset the Orientation tag. GThumb does that, for
example.

Yves-Alexis