Ristretto 1.0 - Functional Requirements (1/3)

Sun Jul 5 12:33:36 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Auke Kok<auke at foo-projects.org> wrote:
> > Mike Massonnet wrote:
> >>
> >> Saving the rotation is something useful indeed. Rstto should ask if the
> >> image must be saved with a checkbox "don't ask again". The less casual
> >> "editings" are Resize and Cropping. Btw, I wonder if it is possible to
> save
> >> the rotation with Exif instead of overwritting the jpeg with another
> quality
> >> and size.
> >
> > this is the preferred method - you don't touch the original data and
> > basically "correct" the exif rotation field instead (and then redisplay
> > using that value).
> >
> > anything else is a bitmap edit and IMO ristretto should not do - that is
> > what image manipulation programs are for...
>
> I agree on this one. I don't want to touch the bitmap with ristretto,
> other apps like the gimp are much more suitable for this purpose. That
> is the reason current versions of ristretto have an open-with menu,
> and listen for filesystem-changes.

That would definitely be the preferred method. Like Jannis said, whenever
you rotate an image it's like that you'll want it in that orientation every
time you look at it. It's not like if you look at your pictures on your desk
and you rotate them that you rotate them back when you're done viewing them
;-)

Anyway, as for the location of the thumbnail bar, I don't think you'd change
that often enough to warrant drag and drop - a simple drop-down menu under
Preferences would be enough I think. But to make sure the arrow buttons
aren't confusing you might want to make them part of the thumbnail bar so
that, when moved to a vertical orientation, they also adjust to that.

By the way, there are probably also some nice things Ristretto could
integrate with (though it should only introduce optional dependencies of
course), like Tracker integration or something. I really have too little
knowledge to be able to say anything sensible on this, but perhaps other
people have some cool ideas. Otherwise, just disregard this remark ;-)

--
Vincent