Ristretto 1.0 - Functional Requirements (1/3)

David Mohr squisher at xfce.org
Wed Jul 8 19:26:53 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Yves-Alexis Perez<corsac at debian.org> wrote:
> On dim, 2009-07-05 at 00:49 -0700, Auke Kok wrote:
>> Mike Massonnet wrote:
>> >
>> > Saving the rotation is something useful indeed. Rstto should ask if the image
>> > must be saved with a checkbox "don't ask again". The less casual "editings"
>> > are Resize and Cropping. Btw, I wonder if it is possible to save the rotation
>> > with Exif instead of overwritting the jpeg with another quality and size.
>>
>> this is the preferred method - you don't touch the original data and
>> basically "correct" the exif rotation field instead (and then redisplay
>> using that value).
>>
>> anything else is a bitmap edit and IMO ristretto should not do - that is
>> what image manipulation programs are for...
>
> And you should look at the Exif Orientation tag. If it's present and not
> TopLeft you should rotate the picture (at display time) accordingly.
> When the user wants to rotate an image, you could do it (rotation is non
> destructive) and reset the Orientation tag. GThumb does that, for
> example.

+1 for that behavior. That's how I want my images to be stored on
disk. I try to run exifautotran on all my images, but it'd be great if
ristretto would handle it in case I forgot... :-) Rotation does not
require re-encoding, as corsac already mentioned, so there is IMHO
little reason not to.

~David