Ristretto 1.0 - Functional Requirements (1/3)

Diego Ongaro ongardie at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 03:24:15 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 17:42, Stephan Arts<stephan at xfce.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 8:15 PM, Diego Ongaro<ongardie at gmail.com> wrote:
>> One section I didn't find clear was "Export collections". Could you
>> explain how Ristretto will store a collection and how users will
>> manage these?
>
> I am not quite sure how to do this either. It could be done as
> followed, I think:
>
> A playlist-like file, or XML file (depending on the extra metadata you
> want to put in) could be stored to disk somewhere,  referencing all
> the images you want to be in your collection:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <collection name="Joe's first birthday">
>    <description>Pictures of Joe's first birthday</description>
>    <image uri="file://path/to/file_1.png"/>
>    <image uri="file://path/to/file_2.png"/>
>    <image uri="file://path/to/file_3.png"/>
>    <image uri="file://path/to/file_4.png"/>
> </collection>
>
> These could be stored in the users home-dir and opened by ristretto.
>
> It's just a thought, I am personally getting tired of the folders with
>> 500 pictures whenever I empty my CF-cards. :-)

I guess the playlist/XML idea would be fine, except people might run
into problems if they move their pictures directory/directories.

I think the more difficult challenge is how to present management of
collections to the user. Presumably what I'm looking at (all of the
thumnails I now see) makes up my active collection. Then I need to be
able to save and load collections, and I need to be able to add and
remove images from the active one. It might get hairy.

-Diego