Ristretto 1.0 - Functional Requirements (1/3)

Daryl Van Humbeck dvanhumb at sfu.ca
Mon Jul 6 08:49:56 CEST 2009

Stephan Arts wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> After a couple of years of development, I am getting tired of the
> ad-hoc hacker style development model I have been using for ristretto.
> This development model was the cause of several issues which were not
> easy to solve.
>
>  - Returning bugs (memory usage, thumbnails, slow UI)
>  - Constant rewrites whenever a new feature was being worked on
>  - and a few other things...
>
> When this keeps happening, the fun of coding tends to go away...
>
> To prevent that stuff from happening again, I have decided to first
> put up a decent specification of what Ristretto should do and how it
> should look like(1/3), then actually make a proper design based on
> those specifications(2/3) and finally start coding (3/3).
>
> You can find a mockup of the functional specification document for
> Ristretto 1.0 on the wiki[0].
>
> I would like you all to look at the specification, and if you have any
> suggestions on features and functionality, please post them on this
> list. Then we can discuss the direction that the development of
> Ristretto is going to take.
>
> Kind regards,
> Stephan Arts
>

> [0] http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/fsd/ristretto/1.0

I have a slightly unusual question (and it doesn't appear to be covered
by the provided specs):

Will it watch the filesystem and reload the image if it changes on disk?

While working with some command-line tools that don't show the resulting
image, I've found that most image viewers don't usually automatically
reload the image if it changes, and don't always provide a Reload
button, forcing me to do anything from switching images away and back to
closing the viewer and starting over.

Thanks,
Daryl.