Ristretto 1.0 - Functional Requirements (1/3)

Stephan Arts stephan at xfce.org
Sun Jul 5 00:42:04 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 8:15 PM, Diego Ongaro<ongardie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 05:51, Stephan Arts<stephan at xfce.org> wrote:
>> You can find a mockup of the functional specification document for
>> Ristretto 1.0 on the wiki[0].
>
> I think this is a good idea, and thanks for starting up a discussion around it.
>
> One section I didn't find clear was "Export collections". Could you
> explain how Ristretto will store a collection and how users will
> manage these?

I am not quite sure how to do this either. It could be done as
followed, I think:

A playlist-like file, or XML file (depending on the extra metadata you
want to put in) could be stored to disk somewhere,  referencing all
the images you want to be in your collection:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<collection name="Joe's first birthday">
    <description>Pictures of Joe's first birthday</description>
    <image uri="file://path/to/file_1.png"/>
    <image uri="file://path/to/file_2.png"/>
    <image uri="file://path/to/file_3.png"/>
    <image uri="file://path/to/file_4.png"/>
</collection>

These could be stored in the users home-dir and opened by ristretto.

It's just a thought, I am personally getting tired of the folders with
> 500 pictures whenever I empty my CF-cards. :-)

What do you think?

Stephan