4.6.0

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 10:02:24 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:38 AM, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 22:11:11 +0100
> Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Looked at Jannis' patch, made some cleanups. Works fine here.
>> review++ from me.
>
> As discussed on IRC, your modifications break the patch in at least one
> situation. Anyhow, after talking to Brian I think we should not use a
> boolean value for determining whether to use custom DPI or not. Instead,
> we should remember the last custom DPI in /Xfce/LastCustomDPI. We can
> distinguish between using custom DPI or not by checking if /Xft/DPI is
> -1. If it's -1, compute a proper value, if not, just use /Xft/DPI. That
> removes some of the DPI logic from xfsettingsd.
>
> Downside is that the appearance settings dialog needs to be able
> to handle a few more situations. I could explain all the changes in the
> attached patch (yes, there is yet another one!) but I'm too tired. The
> changes basically make sure that LastCustomDPI and DPI are always used
> properly and that the widgets are in sync. When we don't use custom DPI
> and there is no proper LastCustomDPI, use the same computation as in
> xfsettingsd. Stuff like that.

KISS anyone, Keep It Simple Stupid? What's wrong with having a
boolean? And why so much code for something simple?

Beside, adding another LastCustomDPI and putting the logic in the GUI
kinda defeats the idea of changing settings from xfconf-query, what if
the user fiddle with the values from the command line? A boolean would
make sense in that case IMHO.

Sorry, but I am at lost now, I do like when things are kept simple...
I kinda liked my initial 15 line patch and yes, if the user uncheck
the toggle, the previous value was lost, but is that so much of a big
deal that requires a 15K patch?

Cheers,
Olivier,