4.6.0

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Feb 20 10:12:20 CET 2009

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 09:02:24 +0000 Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> KISS anyone, Keep It Simple Stupid? What's wrong with having a
> boolean? And why so much code for something simple?

This *is* simple.  In a way.  It keeps the majority of the hack
*outside* xfsettingsd.  (See below for the rest.)

> Beside, adding another LastCustomDPI and putting the logic in the GUI
> kinda defeats the idea of changing settings from xfconf-query, what if
> the user fiddle with the values from the command line? A boolean would
> make sense in that case IMHO.

Not really.  If they use xfconf-query with this new patch, they get the
*proper* behavior.  Setting /Xft/DPI to -1 tells it to auto-calculate,
and setting it to anything else forces the value, exactly as it should.
The UseCustomDPI boolean broke this *correct* behavior.

> Sorry, but I am at lost now, I do like when things are kept simple...
> I kinda liked my initial 15 line patch and yes, if the user uncheck
> the toggle, the previous value was lost, but is that so much of a big
> deal that requires a 15K patch?

Yeah, personally I don't see the need for this extra stuff either.  If
we were to do it my way, we'd just implement it exactly this way,
except leave out the LastCustomDPI stuff entirely and not change the
dialog *at all*.  The hack would be contained to some simple
auto-calculation code in xfsettingsd that only gets activated
if /Xft/DPI is set to -1.

But others seem convinced that it's friendlier to the user to make the
GUI remember your last setting (how often and WHY would you want to
toggle the custom thing on and off anyway?!), and to try to present the
current value the first time you enable it (I see this as useful, but
not entirely necessary).

Personally I'd rather keep code changes to a minimum during an RC
cycle (only critical release-blocker fixes, and only those that can be
done with relatively low risk, and no fixes at all to non-critical
bugs unless they are demonstrably trivial), but it seems like no one
else really cares about that.

	-brian