4.6.0

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Tue Feb 17 11:29:52 CET 2009

Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On mar, 2009-02-17 at 11:09 +0100, Jelle de Jong wrote:
>> I am a great supporter of setting the dpi in the xserver. So if the
>> xfce gui is setting the dpi thats fine but make sure it sets the
>> central xserver dpi. I sometimes also see dpi lines in GDM causing
>> different dpi resolutions when login, starting x, starting xfce app
>> and starting a non xfce app (firefox).
>
> We don't do that. We *dont* touch that (it's wrong anyway). The
> interface only touches the *current user* session DPI. So user can
> override what the Xserver think is the correct DPI.
>> So I think there is only one sustainable solutions and that is to set
>> the the xserver dpi, a gui to do this is fine of course.
>
> No, no and no. Let the xserver guess the DPI. If it's wrong because you
> have broken driver, give it the display size so it can do the calcul
> correctly. Then, the DPI depends on the resolution., so you don't want
> to hardcode a DPI settings if you change the resolution for some reason.
>
> Besides that, DPI is display-dependent too. If you have two (three,
> four, whatever) displays, starting X with -dpi foo will just break every
> other display.
>
> Cheers,

All of the above is correct, the dpi or display size should never be
set, unless the xserver fails to detect a correct dpi. And in this
case user should prefer to set a display size but this is very very
user unfriendly especially with the new upcoming xorg releases with
hal integration. Thats why I say i am a supporter of setting the dpi
in the xserver (when the circumstances enforce this).

In there the dpi is display-depended, but i have used dpi settings
from low to high on all kinds of tft screens and the dpi rendering was
fine on all screens, on crt I have seen different situations.

I just want to make sure, the new xfconf does not changes the dpi of
the xserver by default, and should only do this when especially tolled
to, also please don't make some smart auto detect feature for it. If
it is set wrong the problem should be fixed not making code to catch
the exceptions.

Thanks in advance,

Jelle