4.6.0

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Tue Feb 17 11:11:02 CET 2009

On mar, 2009-02-17 at 11:09 +0100, Jelle de Jong wrote:
> I am a great supporter of setting the dpi in the xserver. So if the
> xfce gui is setting the dpi thats fine but make sure it sets the
> central xserver dpi. I sometimes also see dpi lines in GDM causing
> different dpi resolutions when login, starting x, starting xfce app
> and starting a non xfce app (firefox).

We don't do that. We *dont* touch that (it's wrong anyway). The
interface only touches the *current user* session DPI. So user can
override what the Xserver think is the correct DPI.

> So I think there is only one sustainable solutions and that is to set
> the the xserver dpi, a gui to do this is fine of course.

No, no and no. Let the xserver guess the DPI. If it's wrong because you
have broken driver, give it the display size so it can do the calcul
correctly. Then, the DPI depends on the resolution., so you don't want
to hardcode a DPI settings if you change the resolution for some reason.

Besides that, DPI is display-dependent too. If you have two (three,
four, whatever) displays, starting X with -dpi foo will just break every
other display.

Yves-Alexis