4.6.0

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Tue Feb 17 11:09:32 CET 2009

Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On mar, 2009-02-17 at 09:19 +0000, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>>> Beside bitching, is there anything I/we can help with?
>> I see no blocker in BZ, so let's release. Really, I mean it,
>
> There is the DPI issue (yeah, I know). Stephan discovered that using -1
> in xsettings means using the default value *in pango* (or cairo?) which
> is 96. And if there's no default in pango, then it's the default value
> in cairo, which is 75. And if there's no default in cairo, use the one
> from fontconfig, which seems to be 72.
>
> Basically, it seems to me that using -1 is really not a good idea, you
> don't really know what will happens. 96 maybe, but you're not really
> sure. The way gnome-settings-daemon does it is to use the value stored
> in gconf if it exists, or ask the xserver what it thinks (if the value
> seems impossible (iirc less than 50 or over 5000), then it uses 96.
>
> But basically, either user forces the DPI himself, or *we* should find
> the correct value, not delegating that to anyone else. -1 is not an
> option imho.
>
> I still think it should be fixed in 4.6.0 but if nobody writes some code
> it won't happen. (I could try to write that but it would take me a lot
> of time because I'm not really a gtk coder, and then Xfce team would
> have to take time to review it, because I'm not really a gtk coder at
> all :) ).
>
> So if it will take too much time, ok, just document that, but then it
> should be fixed for 4.6.1, not 4.8.
>
> And yeah, besides that rc1 is in pretty good shape from what I see, so
> it'd be really nice to ship it :)
>
> Cheers, and thanks,

Just some toughts on this, but I have been seeing issues with xfce
apps and dpi for as long as I can remember. I also made different
documentations on ways to solve the issues from an user standpoint.

I am a great supporter of setting the dpi in the xserver. So if the
xfce gui is setting the dpi thats fine but make sure it sets the
central xserver dpi. I sometimes also see dpi lines in GDM causing
different dpi resolutions when login, starting x, starting xfce app
and starting a non xfce app (firefox).

So I think there is only one sustainable solutions and that is to set
the the xserver dpi, a gui to do this is fine of course.

# how i currently solve all dpi problems:
# and don't run xfce-mcs-manager it messes everything up
startx -- -dpi 133.1 -nolisten tcp
800  / (155/25.4) = 131.09
480  / (93/25.4)  = 131.09

Just some thoughts,