DPI settings.

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Tue Feb 17 11:34:21 CET 2009

[This is not about 4.6.0 release so changing the subject]

On mar, 2009-02-17 at 11:29 +0100, Jelle de Jong wrote:
> I just want to make sure, the new xfconf does not changes the dpi of
> the xserver by default, and should only do this when especially tolled
> to, also please don't make some smart auto detect feature for it. If
> it is set wrong the problem should be fixed not making code to catch
> the exceptions.

What should be done in Xfce at startup is:
- look in xfconf if there is an user-set DPI value
- if not, ask xserver for the DPI of the display
- if not present, use 96
- export the value to applications, using Xsettings

We don't want to tune anything in the xserver. If the admin wants to do
that, fine, tune xorg.conf and set the display size. Or break everything
by forcing the dpi directly here and there. But that's not Xfce purpose.
--
Yves-Alexis