Xfce4 C++ bindings

Jens Luedicke perldude at xfce.org
Mon Feb 16 13:02:58 CET 2009

Bo Lorentsen wrote:
> Ok, that is very interesting. But I have hoped that C++ wrapping would
> end up in XFC++ and not in Gtkmm.

My motivation to chose Glibmm/Gtkmm over XFC was that those two
libraries are maintained and have a wider audience.

Personally I don't have the time to takeover or work on XFC.
I don't feel like maintaining a whole set of Glib/Gtk/Gtk/...
bindings. I think such a library set is a bit much for one person.

I had a short look at the XFC source before I started with the new
set of bindings and I was a little surprised that it didn't
contain any code for Xfce.

When XFC was added to Xfce, I didn't have much to do
with C++ programming. So it never really got my focus
of attention.

Right now my goal is to have C++ bindings for the Xfce
core libraries.

> The problem is that not much happens there and I have not got the time
> needed. But if more people have focus on this project (like this things
> you are doing now) we may end up have just a little momentum :-)

Yes. It would be cool to be able to write panel plugins in C++.

> But, I am looking forward to see what you come up with anyway, nice
> project.

Thanks!

Jens

--