libxfce4menu with experimental merging support

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Mon Feb 16 12:48:01 CET 2009

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:55:21 +0100
Jelle de Jong <jelledejong at powercraft.nl> wrote:

> Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > I've spent the last two days hacking on libxfce4menu because I had
> > nothing better to do and I wanted to see how difficult it would be
> > to implement menu merging. To sum things up: two commits, more than
> > 1400 changes and ... merging works!
> >
> > Since my Subversion installation was broken earlier today I
> > committed all of this to a git branch called 'merge-support'.
> > Here's the ChangeLog:
> >
> >   http://git.xfce.org/jannis/libxfce4menu/log/?h=merge-support&showmsg=1
> >
> > This won't make it into 4.6 but it's a nice proof-of-concept for
> > 4.8. I'll probably not implement it this way for 4.8 because I have
> > a more solid two-pass parser concept in mind for 4.8 which will
> > solve a lot of problems and workarounds with the implementation in
> > that git branch.
> >
> > It works and you can test it. I've also made a (bit too large) demo
> > video which you can download from here:
> >
> >   http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/videos/xfce/libxfce4menu-merging-20090216.ogv
> >
> > In this video I'm using alacarte to customize my menu. Feel free to
> > test it, but keep in mind that this will not be part of 4.6 and thus
> > you should rather test trunk ;)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Jannis
>
> Looks good, will be a real pain killer for heavy menu user.
>
> Maybe you remember us talking about it at fosdem. But would it be
> possible to have a look at the possibility to make a virtual file
> system of the xdg .desktop menu and this nice customize menu feature
> and make it possible to (fuse) mount and browse it with thunar as
> normal file structure.

Of course that's possible. Instead of using FUSE though I'd recommend
to write a GVfs handler for the applications:// URI. Once GVfs has
landed in Thunar integration would be very smooth.

> This way I don't have to use the panel menu, but it would be possible
> to use thunar and the side shortcuts to act as menu. Making the file
> manager the main part of the working environment.
>
> See the attached screenshots for a prototype mock up its not a virtual
> file system.

It might be interesting for some people but it doesn't sound like
something I'd implement in Xfce. It sounds more like a goodie or
something.

  - Jannis