libxfce4menu with experimental merging support

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Mon Feb 16 11:55:21 CET 2009

Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I've spent the last two days hacking on libxfce4menu because I had
> nothing better to do and I wanted to see how difficult it would be to
> implement menu merging. To sum things up: two commits, more than 1400
> changes and ... merging works!
>
> Since my Subversion installation was broken earlier today I committed
> all of this to a git branch called 'merge-support'. Here's the
> ChangeLog:
>
>   http://git.xfce.org/jannis/libxfce4menu/log/?h=merge-support&showmsg=1
>
> This won't make it into 4.6 but it's a nice proof-of-concept for 4.8.
> I'll probably not implement it this way for 4.8 because I have a more
> solid two-pass parser concept in mind for 4.8 which will solve a lot of
> problems and workarounds with the implementation in that git branch.
>
> It works and you can test it. I've also made a (bit too large) demo
> video which you can download from here:
>
>   http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/videos/xfce/libxfce4menu-merging-20090216.ogv
>
> In this video I'm using alacarte to customize my menu. Feel free to
> test it, but keep in mind that this will not be part of 4.6 and thus
> you should rather test trunk ;)
>
> Cheers,
> Jannis

Looks good, will be a real pain killer for heavy menu user.\

Maybe you remember us talking about it at fosdem. But would it be
possible to have a look at the possibility to make a virtual file
system of the xdg .desktop menu and this nice customize menu feature
and make it possible to (fuse) mount and browse it with thunar as
normal file structure.

This way I don't have to use the panel menu, but it would be possible
to use thunar and the side shortcuts to act as menu. Making the file
manager the main part of the working environment.

See the attached screenshots for a prototype mock up its not a virtual
file system.

Best regards,

Jelle