libxfce4menu with experimental merging support

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Mon Feb 16 02:05:16 CET 2009

Hey guys,

I've spent the last two days hacking on libxfce4menu because I had
nothing better to do and I wanted to see how difficult it would be to
implement menu merging. To sum things up: two commits, more than 1400
changes and ... merging works!

Since my Subversion installation was broken earlier today I committed
all of this to a git branch called 'merge-support'. Here's the
ChangeLog:

  http://git.xfce.org/jannis/libxfce4menu/log/?h=merge-support&showmsg=1

This won't make it into 4.6 but it's a nice proof-of-concept for 4.8.
I'll probably not implement it this way for 4.8 because I have a more
solid two-pass parser concept in mind for 4.8 which will solve a lot of
problems and workarounds with the implementation in that git branch.

It works and you can test it. I've also made a (bit too large) demo
video which you can download from here:

  http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/videos/xfce/libxfce4menu-merging-20090216.ogv

In this video I'm using alacarte to customize my menu. Feel free to
test it, but keep in mind that this will not be part of 4.6 and thus
you should rather test trunk ;)

Cheers,
Jannis