List of apps for documentation

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Tue Aug 25 17:33:25 CEST 2009

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:20:08 -0500
Jim Campbell <jwcampbell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> A month or so ago I put together a spreadsheet with a list of apps to
> document for Xfce (I didn't send it out, though).  The spreadsheet is
> attached (in .ods format). Has anything changed with regards to
> Xfce-related apps since then?

Appfinder and Thunar are core components. The "Printer Helper" (I guess
you're referring to xfprint) has been moved to the archive and will no
longer be part of Xfce releases. Same goes for xfce4-taskbar-plugin,
xfce4-windowlist-plugin and xfce4-showdesktop-plugin which have been
merged into the panel itself.

> I was planning to initially focus primarily on the apps in the top
> section.  Are there apps in the bottom section (mostly plugins and
> other goodies) that you think are important enough to be documented
> with the first go-round?  Likewise, are there any apps in the top
> section that wouldn't require documentation (perhaps because the
> project is stalled or not currently maintained)?

I'd say thunar-volman and thunar-archive-plugin play a somewhat
important role in the user experience provided by Xfce and thus, should
have higher priority, just like the top four yellow panel plugins which
are probably among the most widely used plugins.

The settings manager (with all the settings dialogs) is also part of
the Xfce core. Some of the dialogs are of course part of individual
components, but the rest is grouped as part of xfce4-settings
(keyboard, display, mouse etc.).

  - Jannis