moving the panel-plugins to the panel. [Was: HelloAgain()]

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Wed Sep 3 12:39:55 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 12:07:52PM +0200, Stephan Arts wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Why exactly do the trash-plugin and the menu-plugin reside inside the
> thunar and xfdesktop modules?
>
> IMHO, it makes more sense if xfce4-panel opt-depends on libxfce4menu
> and thunar-vfs then xfdesktop and thunar opt-depending on xfce4-panel.
>
> that makes the dep-chain a lot less difficult:
>
> - xfce-dev-tools
> - libxfce4util
> - libexo, libxfcegui4, libxfce4menu, xfconf
> - thunar
> - xfdesktop, xfwm4, xfce4-settings, xfce4-session, xfce-utils,
> gtk-engine-xfce-2, xfce4-mixer, xfce4-panel
>

> as opposed to:
>
> - xfce-dev-tools
> - libxfce4util
> - libexo, libxfcegui4, libxfce4menu, xfconf
> - xfce4-panel
> - thunar
> - xfdesktop, xfwm4, xfce4-settings, xfce4-session, xfce-utils,
> gtk-engine-xfce-2, xfce4-mixer
>

> eg, you don't need to compile the panel prior to other apps in order
> to get all the features. You can explain to people they need the libs,
> config-tool and file-manager. But the panel?!
>
> I think this sounds more difficult then it really is, and it would be
> a significant improvement to the dep-chain.
>
> What do you guys think, is it a good idea, and can we fix this in xfce 4.6?

As said on IRC: No, not before 4.6. But we can talk about it afterwards.
It might be worth introducing a libxfce4menugui (or whatever you'd like
to call it library) which both, the panel plugin and xfdesktop could
use. Having the menu plugin in xfdesktop is indeed not the best solution
I can think of.

Anyway, let's discuss this after 4.6. AFAIR Nick planned to reorganize
our core libraries anyway, so we might as well reorganize a bit more
than that.

  - Jannis