moving the panel-plugins to the panel. [Was: HelloAgain()]

Stephan Arts stephan at xfce.org
Wed Sep 3 12:07:52 CEST 2008

Hi,

Why exactly do the trash-plugin and the menu-plugin reside inside the
thunar and xfdesktop modules?

IMHO, it makes more sense if xfce4-panel opt-depends on libxfce4menu
and thunar-vfs then xfdesktop and thunar opt-depending on xfce4-panel.

that makes the dep-chain a lot less difficult:

- xfce-dev-tools
- libxfce4util
- libexo, libxfcegui4, libxfce4menu, xfconf
- thunar
- xfdesktop, xfwm4, xfce4-settings, xfce4-session, xfce-utils,
gtk-engine-xfce-2, xfce4-mixer, xfce4-panel

as opposed to:

- xfce-dev-tools
- libxfce4util
- libexo, libxfcegui4, libxfce4menu, xfconf
- xfce4-panel
- thunar
- xfdesktop, xfwm4, xfce4-settings, xfce4-session, xfce-utils,
gtk-engine-xfce-2, xfce4-mixer

eg, you don't need to compile the panel prior to other apps in order
to get all the features. You can explain to people they need the libs,
config-tool and file-manager. But the panel?!

I think this sounds more difficult then it really is, and it would be
a significant improvement to the dep-chain.

What do you guys think, is it a good idea, and can we fix this in xfce 4.6?

-
Stephan