Xarchiver 0.5.0rc1 released

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 26 23:05:08 CET 2008

Am Sonntag, den 26.10.2008, 14:36 -0700 schrieb Brian J. Tarricone:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 22:29:58 +0100 Christoph Wickert wrote:
>
> > Am Mittwoch, den 22.10.2008, 11:28 +0200 schrieb Giuseppe Torelli:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I just released the release candidate of 0.5.0.
> >
> > Xarchiver looks nice now, but the donators menu really sucks (sorry to
> > say that). I suggest you rename this menuitem to "Contribute" and
> > place it under "Help". IMO Help -> Contribute is much more intuitive.
> > What do you think?
>
> Assuming it pops up a dialog that lists people who have contributed to
> Xarchiver development, you'd want it to be "Contributors", actually.
>
> If it's a menu item that directs people in *how* to contribute,
> however, then yes, "Contribute" is correct.

The menu entry leads to http://xarchiver.xfce.org/contribute.html
and that page is about how to contribute. So we both agree it should be
"Contribute".

The main problem is the bad naming of the menu(item). The menu is named
"Thanks to" and the item is named "Your name and website here", which is
kind of a working title I guess.

> If the menu item is actually soliciting monetary donations, then, IMO,
> "Donate" is indeed appropriate.

There also ist a "Donate" button on the bottom of that page but most of
it is about participation.

> Haven't looked at the RC myself, so I don't know what it actually
> does...

Actually rc1 crashes when extracting files :( Will file a bug with
debuginfo attached.

> (Regardless, I'd agree that the Help menu is probably the best place
> for a menu item like this.)

+1. A menu for only one item is overkill and bad design.

Regards,
Christoph