Xfce 4.6 Beta 2 on FreeBSD

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Thu Nov 20 21:14:57 CET 2008

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 21:08:04 +0100
Oliver Lehmann <lehmann at ans-netz.de> wrote:

> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>
> > (But I think you've already managed to make this work, so I guess
> > the point is moot.)
>
> I did, yes - but I'm not sure about users which are used to click
> buttons and who never heard about things like HAL, PolicyKit, DBUS.
> Users who are just trying to use xfce and wondering why they can't
> shutdown.... They will lookup my email in the ports Makefile write me
> a mail complaining that they are not able to shutdown - or they will
> open a ProblemRequest.
> Maybe I should think about an intelligent autoresponder telling them
> that they have to take care about their PolicyKit.conf
>
> So HAL + PolicyKit renders the shutdown/reboot/hibernate/suspend
> functionality from "works out of the box" to "requires knownledge
> about stuff a normal _user_ (not admin) should not care" :(

As it appears to me (mind you that I haven't even looked at PK in
several months, so this might not be as much the case any more),
PolicyKit is far from finished - that code is still in a lot of flux
and certainly isn't as well understood (if at all) by packagers and
even other upstream providers.

-RW