Xfce 4.6 Beta 2 on FreeBSD

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Wed Nov 19 20:34:31 CET 2008

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> >
> > - Editor, Command Line and so on in the panels are showing no icon (a
> >   null icon)
> > - within "Applications" in the context menu which gets openend when right
> >   clicking on the desktop, the Subgroups (like Settings, Graphics,
> >   Multimedia...) are shown with a read X-Icon instead of a real. Within
> >  the Settings-Group, many Setting Applications are shown with no icon (a
> >   null icon)
>
> Sounds like you're missing one or more of the following:
>
> * The hicolor-icon-theme needs to be installed.
> * The XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable needs to include
> $xfce_prefix/share (as well as the location of hicolor).

hicolor-icon-theme is installed below $xfce_prefix/share as well. I'm
using /usr/local/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc in my .xinitrc to start xfce via
my login manager (slim). I see that XDG_DATA_DIRS gets set in startxfce4
but not in xinitrc - so what is the "correct" way of starting xfce from a
graphical login manager?

--
 Oliver Lehmann
  http://www.pofo.de/