Xfce 4.6 Beta 2 on FreeBSD

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Thu Nov 20 21:08:04 CET 2008

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> (But I think you've already managed to make this work, so I guess the
> point is moot.)

I did, yes - but I'm not sure about users which are used to click buttons
and who never heard about things like HAL, PolicyKit, DBUS. Users who are
just trying to use xfce and wondering why they can't shutdown....
They will lookup my email in the ports Makefile write me a mail
complaining that they are not able to shutdown - or they will open a
ProblemRequest.
Maybe I should think about an intelligent autoresponder telling them that
they have to take care about their PolicyKit.conf

So HAL + PolicyKit renders the shutdown/reboot/hibernate/suspend
functionality from "works out of the box" to "requires knownledge about
stuff a normal _user_ (not admin) should not care" :(

--
 Oliver Lehmann
  http://www.pofo.de/