suspend/hibernate support in xfce4-session

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sat Nov 1 21:09:07 CET 2008

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 14:44:18 +0100 Maximilian Schleiss wrote:

> Le samedi 01 novembre 2008 à 02:59 -0700, Brian J. Tarricone a
> écrit :
>
> > I just committed suspend/hibernate support for xfce4-session, based
> > on a patch from Xubuntu (recently updated by Michael Casadevall).
> > I can't test this myself (susp/hibernate doesn't work on my
> > laptop), so please give it a quick test if you can before beta2.
> >
> suspend and hibernate work here

Yay!

> but shows this error message when it
> resumes even though it did suspend, hibernate and resume properly:
>
> *TITLE*Shutdown Failed
>
> Failed to suspend session
>
> Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote
> application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy
> blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network
> connection was broken.

Boo!  That's strange.  Does it happen every time, or just sometimes?
Mike says it doesn't happen for him and suspend otherwise works :-( .
Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to tell in code if this
message is spurious as in your case, or is a real error (hald died, or
wasn't running, or whatever).

Well, it looks like the dbus default method call timeout is 25 seconds,
but xfce4-session was requesting a timeout of only 2 seconds.  Maybe
that's part of the problem.  I changed xfce4-session to just use the
default.  Can you svn up and give that a try?

	-brian