suspend/hibernate support in xfce4-session

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 12:53:58 CET 2008

Le Sun, 02 Nov 2008 11:15:00 +0100,
Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at debian.org> a écrit :

> On dim, 2008-11-02 at 00:41 +0100, jp.guillemin wrote:
> > With many sound cards all applications using the sound device must
> > be closed before suspending, else the driver is broken on resume.
>
> Then fix the driver. Linux kernel devs are *really* concerned about
> suspend support. If it fails, it's a serious bug.

I ran into that one for the Acer Aspire One, but there is a fix (not in
driver) that is to pass the option model=acer to the snd-hda-intel
module.

> > My xfce hibernate script does something like  :
> >
> > /usr/bin/xfce4-panel --exit
> >  ** call suspend script **
> > /usr/bin/xfce4-panel &
>
> Yurk. Workarounding with this kind of stuff is just wrong, really.
> Better fix the problem where it really lies.

Exactly ;)  Workarounds are good for temporary solutions, only.

The best help you can get with this bummers is with the overall
documentation from the Linux distributions.  And definitely not
something that Xfce has to hide.

My 2 cents,
Mike