suspend/hibernate support in xfce4-session

Juha kautto.juha at kolumbus.fi
Sat Nov 1 22:12:24 CET 2008

Brian J. Tarricone kirjoitti:
> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 14:44:18 +0100 Maximilian Schleiss wrote:
>

>> Le samedi 01 novembre 2008 à 02:59 -0700, Brian J. Tarricone a
>> écrit :
>>

>>> I just committed suspend/hibernate support for xfce4-session, based
>>> on a patch from Xubuntu (recently updated by Michael Casadevall).
>>> I can't test this myself (susp/hibernate doesn't work on my
>>> laptop), so please give it a quick test if you can before beta2.
>>>

>> suspend and hibernate work here
>>

> Yay!
>

>> but shows this error message when it
>> resumes even though it did suspend, hibernate and resume properly:
>>
>> *TITLE*Shutdown Failed
>>
>> Failed to suspend session
>>
>> Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote
>> application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy
>> blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network
>> connection was broken.
>>

> Boo!  That's strange.  Does it happen every time, or just sometimes?
> Mike says it doesn't happen for him and suspend otherwise works :-( .
> Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to tell in code if this
> message is spurious as in your case, or is a real error (hald died, or
> wasn't running, or whatever).
>
> Well, it looks like the dbus default method call timeout is 25 seconds,
> but xfce4-session was requesting a timeout of only 2 seconds.  Maybe
> that's part of the problem.  I changed xfce4-session to just use the
> default.  Can you svn up and give that a try?

Both suspend and hibernate work here also and I get that
same warning. I get it always and also after the change.
.xsession-errors Log has:
** (xfce4-session:17478): WARNING **: xfsm-shutdown-helper.c:229: Failed
to contact HAL: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the
remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy
blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection
was broken.

It would work perfect without that messsage.

Juha