call for advertising: google summer of code 2008

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Mar 5 23:32:38 CET 2008

Jeremy Heiler wrote:
> Hey Brian,
>
> I am a student and I may be interested in participating in the Google
> Summer of Code with you guys (and gals). I've been an active reader of
> this mailing list for a few months (this is my first message) and would
> love to learn more about Xfce. (I use it on a daily basis.)
>
> My only concern is that my background is largely in Java and I've done
> absolutely no work in C or C++. Would that be an issue? Either way I
> would have plenty of time to crack open a book and figure out the
> differences on my own.

I'm not sure -- everyone learns new languages differently -- but my
guess is that yes, it would be an issue.  However, we as the mentoring
org don't make the final decision as to what projects and which students
to accept, so if you're able to demonstrate in your application that you
can complete a project despite this, then I imagine it would be ok.
Also depends on what mentor you end up with.

Really, it's up to you if you want to try.  There's still time before
the student application period, and even more time before coding starts,
so there's no time like the present to start familiarising yourself with C.

	-brian