Of layouts, borders and alignment

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Wed Jul 23 09:10:58 CEST 2008

Am Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:11:17 +0200
schrieb "Nick Schermer" <nickschermer at gmail.com>:

> 2008/7/22 Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu>:
> > Nick Schermer wrote:
> >>
> >> Well sometimes I think the Gnome HIG adds too much or not enough
> >> space in some situations, most of the time resulting in a dialog
> >> that could be a couple of pixels larger then really needed.
> >
> > Yeah, I agree with Nick here -- the GNOME HIG tends to be a bit
> > padding-crazy.  But we should at least have consistency among Xfce
> > apps, even if we don't go with the same amount of padding GNOME
> > does.
>
> I'd say we first make everything ghig.
> We can always decide to use less padding in some cases, but I'm not
> sure if the users are happy with that.
> I mean, we all use _some_ gnome apps, so it's probably nicer (from the
> consistency point of view) to adopt the gnome hig instead of making
> something up ourselves.

Agreed. However, I think we can make a few exceptions, like using a
dialog/window border of 6px so we don't have to change each and every
dialog/window that exists.

@all: I'm preparing a HIG checklist right now, which basically is a
very short version of the GNOME HIG and which can be put in every
module root directory. It's a text file of the format

  Title 1
  -------
  [ ] Point 1
  [x] Point 2

  Title 2
  -------
  [ ] Point 1

Very easy to edit, very easy to walk through your application to check
whether it follows the HIG and very easy for others to see what is
still missing.

  - Jannis