Of layouts, borders and alignment

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 08:11:17 CEST 2008

2008/7/22 Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu>:
> Nick Schermer wrote:
>> 2008/7/17 Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org>:
>>> What are your thoughts on this? IMHO only one or two persons should
>>> take care of that and they should stay in close contact while they do
>>> this. Now that I've more or less finished the keyboard shortcuts, I'm
>>> keen on doing this. Objections?
>>
>> Well sometimes I think the Gnome HIG adds too much or not enough
>> space in some situations, most of the time resulting in a dialog that
>> could be a couple of pixels larger then really needed.
>
> Yeah, I agree with Nick here -- the GNOME HIG tends to be a bit
> padding-crazy.  But we should at least have consistency among Xfce apps,
> even if we don't go with the same amount of padding GNOME does.

I'd say we first make everything ghig.
We can always decide to use less padding in some cases, but I'm not sure
if the users are happy with that.
I mean, we all use _some_ gnome apps, so it's probably nicer (from the
consistency point of view) to adopt the gnome hig instead of making
something up ourselves.

Nick