Video/drm & XFCE 4.4.2 freeze console (not with KDE 3.5)

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 09:24:58 CET 2008

Ori Bernstein wrote:
> This sounds like a bug in the driver/DRI, where it fails
> to handle composite correctly. At a guess, you have the
> compositor enabled in Xfce and disabled in KDE, and this
> is causing your problem. (Alternatively, it could be that
> Xfce uses the compositor differently.) Either way, the
> bug lies in the driver, not Xfce.

Thank you for your reply.
Indeed, in both XFCE and KDE "Composite" was enabled.

So now I've added these lines to xorg.conf:
   Section "Extensions"
     Option "Composite" "Disable"
   EndSection
to disable the Composite extension, and restarted X11.
See below which extensions I still have enabled.

However, this does not help.
The Mesa/OpenGL rendering of the video freezes the
console in XFCE, but not in KDE.....

Certainly something is very different in video rendering
between XFCE and KDE, but it's very annoying that XFCE
freezes my console (a remote reboot of the system needed!),
whereas KDE does not.....

Here is the list of enabled extensions (from xdpyinfo command):
number of extensions:    32
    BIG-REQUESTS
    DAMAGE
    DOUBLE-BUFFER
    DPMS
    Extended-Visual-Information
    GLX
    MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    MIT-SHM
    MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
    RANDR
    RECORD
    RENDER
    SECURITY
    SGI-GLX
    SHAPE
    SYNC
    TOG-CUP
    X-Resource
    XAccessControlExtension
    XC-APPGROUP
    XC-MISC
    XFIXES
    XFree86-Bigfont
    XFree86-DGA
    XFree86-DRI
    XFree86-Misc
    XFree86-VidModeExtension
    XINERAMA
    XInputExtension
    XKEYBOARD
    XTEST
    XVideo

Is there anything suspicious in this list?

Thanks,
Rob.