Icon Arrangement on XFCE Desktop

Chirag Anand anand.chirag at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 14:18:23 CET 2008

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu>wrote:

> No... I was working on this a long time ago, but never had time to
> finish it.  I'll try to dig it up if I still have it (doubtful), but it
> might not be too useful, as I'm planning to redo most of the icon
> layout code after 4.6 is out to allow for free placement on the desktop.

So, should i start after the release of the next version only? And can i
look at the current development version?

> > There were couple of other things too, like there was a white patch
> > (shadow) left on the desktop when an application hanged.
>
> Never seen this happen before...

Seems, its a problem in my system only, happening with kde also.

Well, grab the source code from svn and dive in.  For the icon sorting
> you'll want to look at xfdesktop, mainly the XfdesktopIconView class,
> though you'll probably need to add some hooks into the XfdesktopIcon
> subclass implementations.  Please note that we're in feature freeze for
> 4.6, so new stuff won't go in for another month or so at the
> absolute earliest.

I dont think i'll be able to act that fast. Though i am looking at the
current source code. Is that helpful as you said you'll be changing it?

--
Regards

Chirag Anand
4th Year, B.Tech