Icon Arrangement on XFCE Desktop

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sat Dec 27 14:38:14 CET 2008

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 03:54:54 +0530 Chirag Anand wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a new user of XFCE. Well, i noticed that there is no option for
> arrangement of icons in the desktop menu. Is there any way to do that?

No... I was working on this a long time ago, but never had time to
finish it.  I'll try to dig it up if I still have it (doubtful), but it
might not be too useful, as I'm planning to redo most of the icon
layout code after 4.6 is out to allow for free placement on the desktop.

> There were couple of other things too, like there was a white patch
> (shadow) left on the desktop when an application hanged.

Never seen this happen before...

> If these things are not developed as for now, I would like to
> contribute and try to implement them. I need your suggestions on
> this. Can you please give me an idea on how to proceed with
> developing or fixing these things?

Well, grab the source code from svn and dive in.  For the icon sorting
you'll want to look at xfdesktop, mainly the XfdesktopIconView class,
though you'll probably need to add some hooks into the XfdesktopIcon
subclass implementations.  Please note that we're in feature freeze for
4.6, so new stuff won't go in for another month or so at the
absolute earliest.

	-brian