RFC: Goodie addition: GVFS mount manager

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Fri Dec 12 20:55:59 CET 2008

Am Fri, 12 Dec 2008 20:45:30 +0100
schrieb Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com>:

> Woa, and hi Enrico
>
> Le Fri, 12 Dec 2008 19:54:50 +0100,
> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> a écrit :
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've written a little tool which let you view, mount and unmount
> > (i.e. connect/disconnect) GVFS mounts.
> >
> > It's not ready at all but already usable and I think it would be
> > cool if the Xfce Goodies would have such an application [1].
> > What do you think?
>
> I had the feeling that someone could be writing such a goodie.  I
> started myself such a goodie on monday, and believe me it's way less
> featured than the look of your current screenshots.
> I'm going to try sion asap.
>
> I agree that it is nice to have such a tool around, and also that
> later it could be merged/reused in Thunar and the Places plugin.
>
> My very first need was to mount a remote file system in a GUI fashion
> with the ability to bookmark.
> I believe the mount/unmount operations should be done via a daemon
> which displays errors and asks for corrections.  It would also mount
> all the bookmarked file systems on start (those marked as
> "mount-at-login").
>
> I see the need for a plugin as necessary to ease the access to the
> file systems, cause a window to open a Thunar window sounds annoying.

Soon after Xfce 4.6 there will be GIO/Gvfs support in Thunar. I'm
having some things planned which I think are going to be really great.
Stay tuned. Until then Enrico's application is probably what users and
distributions should pick up if they want at least some kind of
remote/virtual filesystem support.

  - Jannis