"preferences-desktop-keyboard" icon in xfce4-settings-manager

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Tue Aug 26 22:19:56 CEST 2008

Am Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:08:08 -0700
schrieb "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu>:

> Enrico Tröger wrote:
> > Check the Tango release tarball. There is no
> > "preferences-desktop-keyboard" icon. Not sure whether it doesn't
> > exist at all or whether it was just not yet created. But at least
> > it's not in the tarball.
>
> Ok, I believe you.  I didn't actually check (hence my "not sure").
>
> > I agree with Nick to use "input-keyboard" even it doesn't exactly
> > match the action.
>
> Fine by me, though that's odd that the icon isn't included, since
> it's arguably more correct to use preferences-desktop-keyboard than
> input-keyboard, and they're both in the icon naming spec.

Hey,

doesn't seem to helpful to switch to the wrong icon. The only
reasonable options are imho these:

a) Try to use the right icon - and register the wrong icon as a fallback
so it still emits a warning that tells the user to fix their theme.

b) Deliver an icon with Xfce that you install in hi-color, so there is
always *something* even though it isn't provided by the theme.

I'm doing both in different places in Midori, ie. always a) but also b)
where I actually have an icon.

ciao,
    Christian