scale/expose for xfwm4?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Aug 21 11:16:30 CEST 2008

Miek Gieben wrote:
> [ Quoting Christian Dywan in "Re: scale/expose for xfwm4?"... ]
>>> Thanks, but I know of that project, but isn't integration with
>>> xfwm4 a more interesting approach? My question is: is such
>>> integration difficult to do? (If not, I might give it a go
>>> myself)
>> The question is: what advantage do you see in integrating that
>> functionality with xfwm4? I'm using skippy now and then, it could be
>> improved, but it works good enough. Yet I don't see what would make it
>> better if it were part of xfwm4.
>
> My stance is that the WM is managing the windows and that it
> takes care of window selection (alt+tab for instance).
> Exposé is just another way of selecting your windows.

Perhaps, but expose requires quite a bit of heavy lifting and is much
more complex than a simple alt-tab switcher.  Things that can be
implemented outside the WM without losing functionality should indeed be
implemented outside the WM, IMO.

> A bigger (and completely different question) is: Does XFCE
> as a project want to have more bling, or does it want to
> leave that to Compiz? Or could we re-use the plugins for
> Compiz (probably not).

As long as that bling is optional and doesn't decrease performance when
disabled, I have no problem with it.  There's also a code maintenance
issue, which is directly related to why I think code that can be in a
separate module/program should be made separate.

	-brian