XFCE 4.6 ALPHA - Pinkie is coming

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 18 16:21:15 CEST 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 11:20 AM, jp.guillemin <jp.guillemin at free.fr> wrote:

>  Stephan Arts wrote:
>
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com> <fourdan at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>  Hi
>
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 7:25 PM, Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org> <stephan at xfce.org> wrote:
>

>  Hi guys,
>
> Lets release Pinkie :-)
>

>  Humm, no, I disagree. It does not make much sense to me to release
> what we have right now, there is little that work as expected. This is
> not even alpha code IMO.
>

>  According to the milestones page, pinkie is a release dryrun... A
> 'look, we can actually release this shit' - release.
>
> AFAIK, an ALPHA is not feature-complete, and does not need to work
> perfectly. -- Both of which apply to xfce-trunk :-)
>

> AFAIK :
> - an ALPHA should be feature complete, it usually have known bugs and
> requires some polishing and code cleaning.
> - a BETA is usually supposed to have bugs, and requires user testing to
> find them.
> - a RC doesn't have any **known** bug and has to be tested to confirm that
> it's mostly bugfree .
>
> I don't want to troll, it's just my 2 cents ;)

Well, regardless of what any of us feel an "alpha" or "beta" or "rc" should
be, none of us are the release managers - Stephen is :-).

However, from my experience with Ubuntu and a number of other software
projects, alpha is never feature complete :-)

If it makes anyone feel better, Stephen could always call this a "developer
preview" or something instead of alpha... but why don't we just get the
release out instead of arguing about terminology?

>  We actually can release Pinkie in this current state. When all the
> config-dialogs are in place and working, then it is time for
> Tuco-tuco. eg, BETA-1.
>
> Cheers,
> Stephan

Cody A.W. Somerville